It is a system of subtle and precise mobilizations called "Bowen moves" over muscles, tendons, nerves and fascia. The moves are performed using the thumbs and fingers applying only gentle, non invasive pressure. A treatment consists of a series of specific sequences of moves called procedures, with frequent pauses to allow time for the body to respond.
The Bowen Technique does not seek to treat specific condition or disease but rather to gently stimulate the body to heal itself.
The following list of diagnosed conditions comes from claims of patients worldwide
• Musculo skeletal conditions of the spine and limbs: acute or chronic, post traumatic or post surgery or from a more arthritic origin (lumbar, thoracic, cervical pain and related muscle spasms and loss of mobility).
• Sports injuries: ankles, shin splints, runner knees, adductors and hamstrings strain, rotator cuff injuries, tennis elbows....
• Pelvic imbalances: tilt, leg length, hip pain and imbalance, inguinal and groin pain.
• Frozen shoulder: capsulitis, rotator cuff, arthritis.
• Whiplash from car accidents: receiving Bowen treatment immediately following a whiplash will greatly speed up recovery.
• Sacro iliac pain and imbalances: post traumatic or related to pregnancy.
• Coccyx pain: from trauma or after giving birth.
• Migraine/headaches from stress and tension, structural and postural imbalance or digestive origin.
• Hamstrings: tension, stiffness and strain.
• Pregnancy: before (to help the body go through all the changes associated with pregnancy and help prepare for labor), during labor (to facilitate labor) and after birth for the mother (quicker recovery) and the baby (crankiness, colic, projectile vomiting...)
• TMJ: pain and tension in the jaw.
• Knee pain: meniscus, strain.
• Ankle: strain, sprain.
• Elbow: related to tennis, golf or computer use.
• Herniated disks
• Chronic pain syndrome, Fibromyalgia...
• Menstrual pain, irregular cycle, PMS.
• Breast pain: related to PMS, mastitis, irregular milk supply.
• Carpal tunnel and Repetitive stress injury.
• Digestive problems: constipation, diarrhea, liver/gall bladder congestion and pain
• Bed wetting.
• Respiratory conditions: Asthma, hay fever allergies, emphysema, cold & flu , sinus congestion. A Bowen treatment at the first signs of a cold can very often stop it from developing.
• Kidney: water retention, assist kidney function.
• Foot pain: hammer toes, halux valgus (bunion), plantar fasciatis...
• Incontinence (adult)
• Infertility: male or female
• Scoliosis and kyphosis pain.
• Neurological conditions: Bell's palsy, cerebral palsy, polio, stroke, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson, torticolis, multiple sclerosis......
These conditions over repeated series of sessions will respond to varying degrees depending on severity. Often patients have show gradual improvement of their condition and of their quality of life.